Growth Mindset

I have always had an idea of what the growth mindset was without having a name for it, whether I practiced it or not. 

 When I was in secondary school a man came to give my year a talk mainly about positive thinking but had some themes that linked with the growth mindset. I guess without realizing I had carried his words with me as that is usually the way to get me to work on something I have been putting off.



I have never heard of Carol Dwek before this assignment but I do agree with her in what she says about the growth mindset.  She talks about a study where fixed mindsets students run from error and are likely to cheat or find someone who performed worse than them. Unlike growth mindset students who engage with their error and use it as a tool for their future success. I agree as I have been both students. I can sometimes lump things I have difficulty doing with me just not being right for it. Though for other skills no matter how hard I fail I'll keep trying to get it right. 

 Now that there's a name for this kind of thought process I would love to learn more and use it to my advantage. I already use positive thinking when I can and would benefit from exercising the growth mindset.

Comments